Can Dogs Eat Bananas?
YES! Bananas are safe for your dog!
But your dog should only have bananas as an occasional treat! While bananas are a great food filled with vitamin packed goodness – for dogs there could be issues if they eat them too often.
Why Bananas Are Good For Dogs
Bananas are potassium rich and high in fiber making it a great treat for your dog. Filled with so many great vitamins like B6, C and manganese – bananas are filled with benefits like keeping bones strong, blood pressure levels stable and can even offer a calming effect on dogs for a more relaxed pup.Bananas do contain sugar so this should be an occasional treat and not something that is given too often! Also, too many bananas can cause constipation – just like in humans so be sure to keep an eye on your dog after eating a banana to ensure they are pooping properly.
How Can Bananas Be Bad For Dogs?
Just like with humans – having too many bananas can also affect dogs in a negative way. Below are some of the side effects you may see in your pooch if you feed them too many bananas.
- Hyperkalemia while rare can occur if too many bananas are given to your dog over a period of time which can result in higher than normal concentrations of potassium in your dogs body.
- Constipation is the most common side affect.
- Changes in blood sugar due to the natural sugars that bananas have in them including glucose, fructose and sucrose.
If you notice a change in your dog shortly after feeding them bananas or any of the above listed issues seems to arise, you definitely want to make a trip to your vet to have them checked out!Constipation is the most common issue with the introduction of bananas and this can often cause your dog to be in pain so you may notice an increase in whining, or pacing so make sure you keep an eye on your dog!
How Much Banana Is Safe To Feed Your Dog?
There is no hard rule on how much banana a dog can eat. Some dogs may of course be able to easily handle more than others and bigger dogs may be able to eat more than their smaller pup counterparts.It has been recommend that healthy active medium sized dogs have no more than 1-2 bananas in a week. Puppies and smaller dogs should have less.
Options For Feeding Bananas To Your Dog
There are so many great ways you can give your dog bananas – which will help keep them from getting bored of them and will offer them a healthy natural treat!
- Slice a few pieces and let them eat them plain, freeze them for a summer treat or mash them for a different texture
- Slice them very thinly and bake them for a few minutes to create a healthy banana chip treat
- Create a doggie smoothie with some banana and yogurt which is filled with doggie goodness, you can even add a scoop of peanut butter as an extra added bonus
What About Banana Chips For Dogs?
We would not recommend banana chips unless you are making them at home. Many of the store bought banana chips do have added sugar and many have other added preservatives that can do more harm than good for your pet.
Can Dogs Eat Banana Bread?
This one is tricky! While a small amount of banana bread may be perfectly fine – it would really depend on other factors regarding the bread. It is important as a pet parent that you know what is in the bread before deciding whether your dog can eat it.
- If the bread has excess sugar – do not allow your dog to eat.
- If the bread has raisins – do not allow your dog to eat it.
Banana peels can pose a risk because they are hard to digest and may cause a blockage so be sure to remove the peel before giving to your dog.