I do not think there is anything cuter than a dog or a cat in a teepee – like they are the king or queen of their empire! Not sure what it is, but every time I see a picture of a fur friend in a teepee my heart skips a beat. Maybe because when I see them in a teepee it is a reminder of the great homes they have which warms my heart!
Sadly, my rescue dog Cleo is a bit fearful of tight places – she was kept in a crate most of her first couple of years – so enclosures kind of scare her and our cat, well she is not fan either. Makes me sad for the images I will never have! But I have been stalking some pet teepee manufacturers anyway to see the dogs and cats in the teepees dreaming of the day I can have one of my own! There are actually more options for dog and cat teepees than I had thought so figured I would outline the ones I think just kind of rock!
Choosing A Pet Teepee
Of course aesthetics are the big thing most pet parents will look at when purchasing a getting a dog or cat teepee but there are a lot of other things to consider as well! Making sure your pets are safe and protected should take priority over anything so we wanted to make sure we addressed what you should be looking at before buying a teepee for your cat or dog.
Ease of Setup
Most of the teepees I like at were easy to setup with no tools required, so that is important to consider! There may be some that require a drill or screws – so if you are not that savvy, you may want to avoid those!
Ability to Easily Clean
Making sure the tent itself and cushion if you got one are machine washable are of course very important! Most of the teepees I saw did allow for hand washing so that is great. A few said hand wash only because of the delicate fabrics which is why we are partial to the cotton canvas styles.
Most teepees come with some kind of tieback system for the entry – you will want to make sure they are not a direct issue for your pet. If your dog or cat is a chewer you will want to make sure that whatever is used to hold the flaps back is not going to cause a choking hazard or come off easily. Some use string – others buttons or toggles! Only you know what your dog or cat will do with these so you need to use caution and consider this when ordering.
Cushions or Floor Covers
Not every tent comes with a cushion or floor cover – so be sure to read the product description. Usually the product will ONLY be for the tent cover and poles and cushions are optional. You will probably want the cushion that comes with the tent if it is an option since it will probably fit the best. Some tents may have odd sizes making it hard to put your own cushion or dog bed in it.
Be sure to keep the tent away from heating vents or fireplaces! In the teepees we looked at only a few noted specifically that they were fireproof or flame retardant! If this is important to you – you should confirm with the manufacturer before making a purchase.
Our Favorite Dog & Cat Teepees
I was immediately drawn to this one because of the simplicity of the design! This style will look good in just about any home from modern to traditional to country inspired design which is just 1 reason it is a winner in our book.
- 24″ tall and 20″ in diameter
- For pets up to 15 pounds
- 100% durable cotton canvas
- Pine poles
- Machine washable
- Optional cushion/dog bed (as shown in image)
- Easy to store
- Chalkboard is included with the set purchase
There are so many reasons to love this pet teepee — the ease of washing and cuteness factor make it a perfect addition to any home – and overall it seems pets love it! The only downside is the cost is a little high – but the reviews are great and seem to justify the cost. Little Dove has a pretty good collection of teepees for pets – but also kids here.
We love this teepee from Dog and Teepee on Etsy! Actually they have a great selection of tepees for your dogs and cats in all different designs and looks, we were just drawn to the fun cactus illustrations on this one!
- Pine frame (color will vary depending on the design
- Tent cover (choose from several designs)
- Cushion that will complement the cover design
- Assembly instructions
- Cover and mat are 100% machine washable (no dryer though!)
This Etsy seller is based in the Ukraine so it will take a few weeks to receive your order – but the customer reviews are awesome and their designs are beautiful! Each teepee is handcrafted and a portion of each sale is donated to an animal shelter in Sirius. There is a design that is perfect for any home decor you may have. It does not specify if it is fire retardant though!
A beautiful design and easy to maintain – this teepee is another fantastic option for your cat or dog to enjoy! With excellent reviews and a great look, this will be a winner in any room of your home.
- Pine wooden poles
- Available in 24″ (up to 15 pounds) and 28″ (up to 35 pounds) height
- Cotton Canvas cover with star design – blue and cream
- Matching cotton cushion with non-skid pads
- Machine washable
- Small blackboard
- Optional cooling mat is available
This teepee is easy to assemble and very lightweight so you can move it from room to room! The tent is non-flammable, flame retardant and mildew resistant so you know your pet will be safe and healthy. The cute little wooden toggles hold the tent open for easy entry and exit and adds a nice design touch!
- Wooden poles
- Measures 23.5″ in height – best for toy breed sizes under 15 pounds
- Cotton Canvas cover with navy and white strip design with red anchor accent
- Machine washable
- Folds and easily transports in included carry bag
- Side ties that can open or close the flaps
The teepee has great reviews – a few people mentioned the cushion could be thicket, but that is the only downside to this great pet tent. It is a very small tent like the others so dogs under 15 pounds are best!
Making Your Own Dog or Cat Teepee
If funds are a little low or you are more of a hands on/craft person then making your own teepee for your pet is a great option. I have absolutely no skills at all when it comes to things like this so I would not even attempt this – but for you crafty folks, give it a shot! It is a great way to create a perfect teepee for your pet and be able to use a fabric that is perfect for your home decor!
Supplies You Will Typically Need
These may vary a bit based on the size of the teepee you would like to make, but these are recommended sizes!
- Dowels or PVC Pipe
- Sandpaper to ensure the dowels are smooth
- Canvas or fabric (if you use canvas you can paint your own design – or you can find a heavyweight fabric with a print that adds to your home decor)
- (1) Clothespin
- Drill to make holes in the dowels
The hardest part of the whole process is getting the dowels or the PVC to stand fairly firm. The trick is to drill the holes in the dowels and run the rope THROUGH them then around them all for added strength. Some do not do the holes but creatively wrap the rope around them instead.
There is a great step by step tutorial for a DIY pet teepee here.
Here is another really great DIY dog tent tutorial as well!
And here is a video for a really simple DIY teepee for your pets with a more traditional teepee style.
This is another great video that does a really great job of taking you step by step!
Creative Uses For A Pet Teepee
While the intent of these adorable enclosures are for your dog or cat to use – there are some other ways these can come in handy around the house. Since they are usually so pretty they make great conversations starters but are also great for the following uses:
- Litter Box Cover – of course you would need a larger teepee to fit over the box, but this is a great way to keep the litter box out of sight.
- Shade – if you are out and about in the yard on a hot day and your dog is a velcro dog like mine and needs to be out there with you, the teepee can make a great cover for them to hang outside with you but stay out of the sun. There are indoor/outdoor teepees available so that may be a better option when you make a purchasing decision.
- Toy Cover – if your house looks like mine, there are cat and dog toys everywhere. We have a toy box of course for the toys, but this is a much cuter option for keeping toys hidden away.
So, what do you think? Have you purchased or made your own pet teepee for your cat or dog? What else should pet parents know?