They may seem like a harmless thing for dogs to eat, but they are not. Below I will share what I learned from a veterinarian when I had to asked can dogs eat oreos. My own dog Cleo could not wait to eat the one I dropped on the floor and I could not get it away from her fast enough.
Knowing chocolate is toxic for dogs, I may have freaked a bit. My vet definitely put me at ease, and thankfully she was just fine aside a little belly ache.
While you may not have fed your dog Oreos purposely – and we do not recommend it, we understand accidents happen! If you have a dog you know they are always on the hunt for something they can steal from the counter.
Can Dogs Eat Oreos?
No, dogs cannot eat Oreos.
You should not feed Oreos to your dog, and you should try and keep them from where your dog can access them. The issue with these cookies are the chocolate that is in them.
Chocolate is toxic for dogs, and although Oreos have a small amount, eating many Oreos can bring health issues.
The other issue is the amount of sugar and fat these cookies have. Oreos in reality are not great for people either – there is no nutritional value in them and they can lead to obesity in people – and pets!
What About Flavored Oreos?
There are so many different types of Oreos out there now! You may have the Golden Oreos or Pumpkin Spice Oreos.
Are all of those bad as well?
The traditional chocolate Oreo is definitely the worst because of the chocolate. The other flavors are also bad though due to the sugar content. So, dogs should never have ANY kind of Orea.
If you are looking for a sweet treat for your dog, you can try making these delicious air fried Sweet Potato Dog Treats. They are healthy, easy to make and are a great crispy treat for your dog.
Pet Size Matters
The risks of a dog eating Oreos is largely dependent on the size of your dog. A small dog breed may have issues eating just a couple of cookies, while a larger dog may be just fine.
What To Look For If Your Dog Ate Oreos
If it is one or two cookies, there should be minimal issues. Of course, this will be dependent on your dogs overall health. If you are nervous, definitely call your vet!
But, if they ate many Oreos, not just a couple – you should keep an eye out for some signs of illness. If you notice any of the following, you should call your vet:
- Abdominal swelling
- Panting (this could be a sign of pain)
- Seizures or trembling
- Rapid heart rate
Related: Can dogs eat bell peppers?
Can One Oreo Kill My Dog?
So, my dog ate one whole Oreo – and she is still here, so generally speaking one Oreo will not hurt them. She did have a noisy belly for a day or two though. And the diarrhea was not fun, but she was fine otherwise.
I did monitor her water and food intake though, just to be sure. Remember, every dog may react to eating an Oreo differently. So, if you do know they took one – or a couple just keep an eye on them for a couple of days.
What Should I Do If My Dog Ate Oreos?
If your dog at just a couple, in most cases they will be just fine. If your dog is smaller, then just keep an eye on them for a few days and keep an eye out for the symptoms noted above.
If you have a large breed dog, then still keep an eye on them, but you have less to worry about.
If your dog ate a lot of Oreos, not matter the size then it is recommended you give your vet a call. They know your dogs health best can best advise you if there is any other actions you should take.
You do want to make sure your dog is still doing what they do though! Make sure they are drinking water, eating regular food and that their activity level is the same.
If anything seems off – a visit to the veterinarian may be required.