The air fryer is not just for chicken cutlets anymore! Now you can use that amazing tool to create some scrumptious treats for your dog that they will love.
Homemade sweet potato dog treats are a win – but make them in the air fryer and you have a crispy, yet moist treat that is filled with healthy goodness. It is also an affordable treat as sweet potatoes are usually not incredible expensive either.
Can Dogs Eat Sweet Potatoes?
Yes! Not only can they eat them, they can be really good for them.
When offering your dog a sweet potato as a snack, it is important to make sure it is cooked since raw sweet potatoes can cause issues with digestion. It is also recommended to remove the skin of the potato as well since they can sometimes be hard to digest.
Some veterinarians, like Dr. Gary Richter who is a member of Rover’s panel of experts, recommend adding fresh foods to your dog’s diet.
This is why we are always adding new and healthy recipes to our site like our Gummy Blueberry dog treats and dog treats made with parsley, which are great for bad breath!
Health Benefits Of Sweet Potatoes For Dogs
Cooked sweet potatoes are filled with healthy nutrients like:
- Vitamin A
- Vitamin B6
- Vitamin C
It also includes beta carotene which is an antioxidant that reduce the chances of your pup getting certain types of cancers!
Too much vitamin A can cause issues with bones and muscle weakness, so be sure to know how much your dog needs or takes in daily before adding sweet potatoes to their diet. You should also check with your veterinarian before adding sweet potatoes to the diet of a dog with diabetes.
Related: Can dogs eat Oreo cookies?
Air Fryer Sweet Potato Treat Recipe
- 1 large sweet potato (or use more if you need more treats!)
- 1 cup chicken broth (recommend low or no sodium options)
1 | Peel the skin off the potato. (Not required but recommended since some dogs may have trouble digesting the skin)
2 | Slice the potatoes into slices that are roughly the width of a quarter. Using a mandolin can help keep them evenly sliced.
3 | Pour broth over the sliced sweet potatoes and let soak for at least 3 hours. I soaked mine overnight which helps them keep in a bit more moisture. Flip the slices to ensure all sides are well marinated.
4 | Please slices on the air fryer tray ensuring they do not overlap.
5 | Cook at 400 degrees for 3 minutes.
6 | Reduce heat to 300 degrees and cook for 5 more minutes.
7 | Remove and let cool
If you sliced yours thicker then the size recommended you may need to cook yours a little longer.
The leftover broth can be discarded.
I would store the treats in a container for no more than 3-5 days at room temperature or up to a week in the refrigerator.
Air Fryer Chicken Sweet Potato Dog Treats
A healthy, tasty and touch fo sweet treat for your pups. Air fryer chicken sweet potato dog treats are a sure win with your pooch.
- 1 Large Sweet Potato
- 1 Cup Chicken Broth (low or no sodium is best for dogs)
- Remove the skin from the potato. This can be optional but some dogs may have a hard time digesting the skin, I left it on for this recipe.
- Slice sweet potato into slices that are about as thick as a quarter. A mandolin can help keep them sliced evenly.
- Pour broth over slices and let soak for at least 3 hours, but recommend over night. Ensure all slices are covered - you can flip them if needed to ensure slices are moist.
- Place slices on air fryer tray making sure they do not overlap.
- Cook at 400 degrees for 3 minutes.
- Reduce heat to 300 degrees and cook for another 5 minutes.
Additional cooking might be required if you sliced the sweet potatoes thicker than recommended.