The love and passion people have for cats is huge! It has been said that cat videos just might be the most popular category on YouTube.
But songs about cats are also a popular topic! Whether the song is truly about a cat like Stray Cat Strut or just using the term or inspired by a cat like Cat’s In the Cradle, these songs are all cat related.
Most Popular Songs About Cats
These cat songs are ones you have probably heard before and forgot about! Songs that at one time were on the radio (and for those that have never seen a radio – I swear they were real things!) and you would tap your feet when it came on.
1 | Cat People (Putting Out Fire) by David Bowie
One of David Bowie’s biggest hits that became his biggest solo hit in the US since his prior hit in 1976. The song was created for a movie called Cat People, where a family often turned into panthers.
2 | Cat Scratch Fever by Ted Nugent
Turns out cat scratch fever is an actual infectious disease that is caused by cats. This song though has nothing to do with that and is a take that Nugent used on women and his desire for them.
3 | Cat’s In The Cradle by Harry Chapin
This song makes me cry every time and is on my own Spotify list. While the song has nothing to do with cats, it is a fantastic take on the father son dynamic in a family. The song was re-recorded many years later by Ugly Kid Joe.
4 | Honky Cat by Elton John
Another all time favorite that just takes me back to the 70’s (yes I am old). The term “honky cat” refers to the rural to urban phenomenon and how urban people see rural people in a negative way.
5 | Stray Cat Strut by the Stray Cats
Yep – another favorite of mine! This jazz inspired song features some great music and story about the life of a stray cat – albeit a cool stray cat from the sound of the song.
6 | What’s New Pussycat by Tom Jones
OK, I am going to admit that yes I like Tom Jones and yes, I have seen him in concert. This sing was one of my favorites! Originally written for a movie called What’s New Pussycat.
7 | Year Of The Cat by Al Stewart
OK, I know I have said this a few times before – but this is an awesome song! Another song not directly cat related but more of a love song that happens in the year of the cat.
The Lion Sleeps Tonight By The Tokens
This song was originally a hunting song sung in what was then called Zulu and was said to have originated by a writer named Solomon Linda. It was interpreted to be a song about his activities in chasing lions away from their cattle. It was then modified a bit and sung by the Tokens.
Other Cat Inspired Songs
So many right? Check out more of the great cat songs below if you are really “finicky” about the music you listen too.
- All Cats Are Grey by The Cure
- Alley Cats by Hot Chip
- Alley Cat by Bent Fabric and His Piano
- Black Cat by Janet Jackson
- Cat’s Eye In The Window by Tommy James
- Cat on Tin Roof by Blonde Redhead
- Cat Party In The Sky by Lord Kitchener
- Cleopatra’s Cat by Spin Doctors
- Cool For Cats by Squeeze
- Copy Cat by Gary U.S. Bonds
- El Pussy Cat by Mongo Santamaria
- Ev’rybody Wants to Be a Cat by Phil Harris
- Me And My Friend The Cat by Loudon Wainwright III
- My Wife, My Dog, My Cat by The Maskman & The Agents
- Hell Cat by Bellamy Brothers
- Look What the Cat Dragged In by Poison
- Nashville Cats by The Lovin’ Spoonful
- Our House by Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young (mentions 2 cats in the yard)
- Pads, Paws, and Claws by Elvis Costello
- Phenomenal Cat by The Kinks
- Pussy Cat by Ames Brothers
- Pussycat Meow by Deee-Lite
- Soothing Music For Stray Cats by Edgar Jones
- The Alley Cat Song by David Thorne
- The Cat by Jimmy Smith
- The Cat In The Window (The Bird In The Sky) by Petula Clark
- The Love Cats by The Cure
- The Siamese Cat Song by Sonny Burke and Peggy Lee
- Tom Cat by The Rooftop Singers
- Walkin’ My Cat Named Dog by Norma Tanega
- When He Calls Me Kitten by The Kelly Deal
Worst Cat Song Of All Time
My opinion of course, but the all time worst cat song has to go to……
Smelly Cat – sang by Lisa Kudrow (who played Phoebe) on Friends! The lyrics are about – you guessed it, a smelly cat and were some of the worst ever. But definitely good for a laugh.
So there you have it! One really long list of cat inspired songs. Whether the song is about cats – or just named with a cat – they are all here.
Do you have a favorite from the list? Is there one I did miss? Drop me a note in the comments – and have a cat-astic day.